As a pediatrician diagnosed with leukemia, I used Grit to hang in there, Resilience to adapt, and Self-Determination to use my values in re-making my life.
RECONSTRUCTING myself, using the opportunity to learn new skills and enhance my professional roles.
Like… Teaching a senior seminar at George Mason University, mentoring a humanism module to medical student, developing a program to help inner city youth at Covenant House DC.
…Using those experiences and my cumulative pediatric background in ADHD, drawing my native empathy, intellectual energies, and signature strengths.
I don’t just coach ADHD and Executive Functions.
I coach Grit, Resilience, Self-Determination, and Growth.
- The Resilience Center – Fun Assessments
- VIA character strengths – http://www.viacharacter.org/
- Grit scale – Angela Duckworth.
- Self-Determination Scale, American Institute for Research (link to PDF)
- Character strengths predict resilience over and above positive affect, self-efficacy, optimism, school support, self-esteem, and life satisfaction (Martinez-Marti and Ruch, Journal of Positive Psychology, Vol 12, 2017, Issue 2. (PDF)
- Nine things successful people do differently – (link to PDF)
Ron Bashian, M.D,